Sunday, April 28, 2019

Modification for new royal enfield

First of all congratulations for your new bike. I can understand the feeling you are going through right now. It's an out of the world feeling to be a part of the RE brotherhood. Anyways now to answer your question I would give you my personal opinion about what I think of the modifications. First of all don't fall into the trap of the RE showroom guys. They are doing their job of selling products so they will try to sell you as much things as possible whether you need it or not. The first and foremost thing you should do is just look at your stock bike for sometime and see what you feel. It's already such a classic extraordinary looking bike. Correct? So I believe it needs a minimalistic aesthetic modifications to make it look better. Now I will list down few points:

  • Silencer:The silencer can be changed but obviously a genuine quality option should be chosen which complies with all the BS4 norms and sound dB standards. And it is highly recommended to change the silencer after at least 2k km only. But always remember that the stock silencer is the best as it's tested and passed by the company. The rest is your choice.The top 5 available exhaust with their buy links are as fallows



  • Alloy Wheels: RE bikes are in general made for long rides basically touring purpose. And trust me buddy spokes are much better options than alloy wheels. Basically on rough road with potholes, there are chances for the alloys to bend or crack at high speeds. Whereas the spoked wheels are much more reliable and sturdy to handle bad roads. And for a heavy bike like RE, it's obviously recommended to stick to the stock spoked rims. But do remember that there are both positive and negative aspects for any thing in this world. Tubeless tyres cannot be fitted to a spoked rim. I guess u understand the disadvantage.If you want to go for alloywheels make sure that the distance between two spokes of alloy wheel should not be much as it will create excess pressure on rims which will cause rims to bend.  

  • Seats: This is the area where I would say personal comfort plays the key role. Depending upon your personal comfort or discomfort the seats can be custom built for all RE bikes. And personally for me the spring provided stock seat works very well for me and I have added a seat cover with extra cushion that was required. But the rear seat for classic is really a pain in the a** for the Pillion. It's highly recommended to replace the same with some comfortable after market seats.
  • Back rest or Grab Rail: For classic RE bikes the stock grab rail is really of no use as it causes a lot of discomfort to the pillion. If you want to keep it either it should be foam wrapped or in case you want some enhanced comfort for the pillion, go for some after market back rest with proper height and cushioning. Remember what I personally think is that the aftermarket back rest actually doesn't quite go with the classic aesthetic looks of the bike.
  • Aftermarket light fitting: It is not advisable to fit any after market lights where the wiring needs to be cut or altered. Remember if the wiring is played with the warranty on the same will become void. If you want a better quality light to enhance your visibility at night, you may go for high power LED bulbs. You may replace the halogens with LED lights where snip snapping of the wires is not at all required.
  • Handlebar: I do not get the point of changing a handlebar for Classic as whatever is provided as stock, looks and works perfect for me. People say changing of handle bar reduces vibrations and all. Trust me it doesn't make much difference. And I personally love and accept the fact that my handlebar vibrates at high speeds. And I never stress my bike by revving it hard above 80–90 km/hr to feel the vibrations. After all I bought a lazy highway cruiser not racing bike. Anyways I won't go to this controversial topic as I have already provided enough explanation in my earlier answers.
  • Leg Guard / Crash Guard: This is something very important which should be fitted on the very first day you get the delivery of the lovely machine. This actually protects not only the bike dents and scratches, but also your legs from getting crushed under the huge weight of the bike, in case of an unfortunate fall. I would suggest go for the 3.5k Rs crash guard available in the RE showroom which is very sturdy and made of high quality heavy stainless steel. I know the price is a bit high but trust me it's way better than any after market crash guards. They give a 1 year warranty on that and also they will confirm that it will not bend in case of low speed crash. It bears a good quality Royal Enfield print which can be checked for genuineness. Hopefully the type I am speaking about is a airfly crash guard. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now that I have covered the major points, I would say that there are ’n’ number of modifications that can be done to a RE bike. So I won't explain the tits and bits of the aesthetic modifications as it completely depends on personal choice. I personally prefer to preserve the awesome old school classic look of my lovely machine with minimalistic modifications that makes sense in making my life a little more comfortable from the ride perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment